How Should County Data Be Expressed for Geo Visualizations

How does ThoughtSpot recognize county data? In what format does ThoughtSpot need the data to accurately express the county data in a geographic visualization?

10replies Oldest first
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Active threads
  • Popular
  • Hi Phillip,

You can designate a column as Geo by editing the GEO CONFIG column in the table Columns page.

You can find information on adding geo data settings here :

https://docs.thoughtspot.com/4.5/admin/data-modeling/model-geo-data.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Reply Like
  • We would like to follow up on this question. We are trying to map the US counties by using the Geo Config tool available. However, we see few counties(e.g; LaSalle County, IL) being missed in the Map although the data are available in Thoughtspot database. Also, is there a way we can render the US Territories in the  Thoughtspot GEO config for e.g: Guam. Also, for the area name after City of(for e.g: Richmond city of, Va), is there a way we can map it into Thoughtspot Visualization. Thank you for looking into it.

Thanks,

Tulasi

Reply Like
  • Counties that have the same name in different states do not get rendered (known constraint).  To get around this I have created a column with county and state, e.g. (King, WA).  That seems to work.

Reply Like
  • thanks for the quick feedback. we are aware of that issue too. If you see the example provided(LaSalle County, IL) that is exactly how we are trying to map it. But still see few counties missing even though the data is available.

Thanks,

Tulasi

Reply Like
  • There is some specificity required.  Is the name of the count "LaSalle County, IL" or "LaSalle, IL".  I'd guess that the latter is what you need.

Reply Like
  • Bill Back It is also worth mentioning that LaSalle Parish, LA is also not showing up even with the state abbreviation appended.

Reply Like
  • Phillip Hetzel OK, looks like there are some extra picky considerations.  I'm being told that for "LaSalle" and other names with a capital in the middle you need a space, so it becomes "La Salle County, IL".  Also, if you have "Saint" it should be abbreviated as "St.".  Hopefully these are the only ones, but let me know if not.

Also, this is supposed to be fixed in 5.0.  Which version of ThoughtSpot are you running?  

Reply Like
  • Thanks Bill. Changing the string to "La Salle County, IL" seems to resolve the issue for that particular county. However, we are still missing few other counties(e.g: Oglala Lakota County, SD ;  O Brien County, IA) , city of (e.g: Richmond city of, Va) and most of the US Territories.

Reply Like
  • Tulasi, I'm trying to see if there is a list of rules to help or a better way to trouble shoot the ones that aren't showing up.  Some of those could be case (Richmond city) punctuation (O Brein County).  I'll also verify we have US Territories covered.  Thanks for being patient.  

Reply Like
  • Bill Back We were able to resolve "O Brein County" by inputting "O'Brein County".  This cluster is on 4.5.1.3, however I think we will be supporting territories (Guam, PR, USVI) in version 5.1.

Reply Like
Like1 Follow
  • Status Answered
  • 1 Likes
  • 10 mths agoLast active
  • 10Replies
  • 234Views
  • 5 Following